6/13/12

Tea of the week: Harmutty Estate Assam (SFTGFOP)


Ben: Well Sylvia, it's been awhile, but I think it's time for another tea of the week.

Sylvia: Oh, I think you're right Ben.  We've had so many interesting teas in the past month, it seems such a shame that we aren't sharing them with the rest of the world.

Ben: You've got that right.  Which one should we profile?

Sylvia: How about the Harmutty Esate Assam?

Ben: You mean, The Breakfast Tea of My Dreams?

Sylvia: That's right; the SFTGTBT.

Ben: Don't you mean SFTGFOP?

Sylvia: No, I mean SFTGTBT: Super Far Too Good To Be True.

Ben: You've got that right!  This Harmutty Estate Assam is absolutely incredible.  I've been looking for something this strong for ages; a malty heaviness on par with Tao of Tea's Malty Assam, paired with the hearty flavor of a good Nonaipara.

Sylvia: Well, I wouldn't go that far.  It doesn't have quite the complexity and unique cocoa overtones of a Nonaipara...

Ben: Okay, okay, but it's definitely much more flavorful than Tao's Assam.  It's forceful, and oh so rich.
Sylvia: I'd call it a simplified Baihao Yinzhen.



Ben: Interesting.  Simplified, then multiplied by 1,000.

Sylvia: Compacted into a heavy-weight punch.

Ben: Speaking of boxing, I heard NDK's been spending time with Manny Pacquiao...

Sylvia: He's certainly been in the Philippines for awhile.  I hope he's taking good pictures with that camera he took along with him, otherwise we'd be snapping shots of these absolutely beautiful leaves.

Ben: The ad shot from Chado will have to do.  What a shame.

Sylvia: Let's talk about Harmutty Estate itself though.  I know that I know nothing about it.

Ben: I wish I could help you out here, Syl, but I've got nothing.

Sylvia: Hmmm.  Well, I'm sure they're FOOD JUST.

Ben: One can only hope.

Sylvia: So how would you rate this one overall?

Ben: What can I say?  It's not subtle, it's not intricate, it's not thought-provoking.  But who wants all of that in the morning?  This is far-and-away the strongest, maltiest, most flavorful breakfast tea I've had in ages.  I can't think of anything better to get me started on my charge through the daily grind.
 
Sylvia: Well said.  I'm usually a bit sluggish in the morning, but this Assam has me wide awake like I haven't been in years.  I can really feel the heartiness in my bones.  I'm buzzing all over.  I almost feel like I could fly.

 Ben: Don't be ridiculous.


Pick up a bag of Harmutty Estate Assam at any the Chado Tea Room in Pasadena.  These guys are good; the staff knows their tea and are super helpful, and at $3 an ounce, you aren't going to get a better bang for you buck.  We'll be back next week with even more incredible breakfast teas!

No comments:

Post a Comment