5/4/12

McDonalds and Food Justice

This morning I read How McDonald’s Came Back Bigger Than Ever, a NYTIMES piece by Keith O'Brien. Essentially it is just an expose on McDonald's comeback in the past year, its dabbling in social media, and how how the Big Mac is more popular than ever. 

When I learned this it reminded me of a conversation I read between David Brooks and Gail Collins called the County and the City. In that Brooks said: "We Americans get too little credit for democratizing food, for providing decent food for the masses...these places are part of a democratic driving force in our culture — the desire to produce decent stuff for everyone." 

Their conversation was more a commentary on the changing Mid West middle class than on fast food, but the points are still relevant. While we may not see it that way, McDonalds represents the ultimate luxury. What food should be more expensive than a Coke and hamburger? I can theoretically make BBQ oysters, abalone, foie gras, but could I make Coca Cola? Certainly not. Yet, there it is, for $4. McDonalds has taken a food none of us could ever recreate in our homes and made it accessible to everyone in the United States.

So, that is the democratizing of food. But of course, we've learned that its bad for us and we think this isn't such a good thing anymore. While I may have stopped eating fast food, I think the government should pick and choose the luxuries that others, who couldn't possible make these decisions themselves, receive. 

Of course there is a middle ground, ending the government subsidies that make the food possible. Instead of adding another layer of involvement why not just end the subsidies that make this food possible in the first place. I may be a Republican.

And just for the sake of views I'm going to include that picture of a fat kid.

You: "WOW! I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS PIC BEFORE LOLOLOL!! LOOK AT HIS LITTLE ARMS!"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post, I'm in a food justice class and this was helpful!

    ReplyDelete