3/19/12

Beer of the Week Stone Brewery: Old Gaurdian #BrendanFraser

Spring Break is coming to a close in Food Justice House and with that comes Beer of the Week. This weeks beer is dedicated to Brendan Fraser, to whom we owe many laughs this break. But, there is an umbrella hanging over me so without further ado let us begin our review.

This week Noah and Dan will be reviewing our first beer from Stone Brewery. This San Diego brewery is known for its frighting logos and obsession with Gargoyles. I assume they all have some sort of weird Hunch back of Notre Dame thing going on. However, if history has proven anything good posture is no predictability of brewing skill, just look at Brendan Fraser*!

We came upon this beer when Noah took a trip to the Stone Brewery. I assume he had a wonderful time there and met a kind-hearted cripple who he originally feared, but grew to understand on a personal and sensitive level. I hope they fall in love!

Appearance: 

Dan: Quite red! What I imagine some whiskeys might look like. 
Ben: Almost like an orange liqueur. 
Noah: Like watered down root beer.

Smell: 
Dan: A crisp light smells
Noah: Fruity
Ben: I'm in the other room. oh wait I'm back, like wine kinda!

Taste:
Dan: Unlike the Lagunitas Gnarly Wine, I can really tell that this has a high alcohol percentage. It has an intense, but pleasant burn.
Noah: Bitter, with an after burn.
Ben: That's fun. It tastes like hard licka. 

Overall:
Dan: I enjoyed this beer, however I'm not sure if I could drink a whole bottle. I really think this could only be enjoyed sipping.
Ben: The most fun beer I've ever tasted.
Noah: I enjoyed it, but the burn at the end was a really nice touch. I'm really glad I went to the brewery.

Krunkability is going to be a difficult task this week, so we turn to the former math wiz, Noah. Disclaimer: we understand this is a somewhat flawed system, because not everything comes in 6 pack, but this is just a way to get you thinking about how good a beverage is at getting krunk. That being said, Old Guardian comes in only 22 oz bottles. To figure out the 6 pack, I divided 72 oz (the volume of a standard 6er) by the 22 oz in the bomber(bigger bottle) for 3.27 bombers in a 6 pack. Stay with me here it's not that complicated. I believe I paid $7 for the bottle sooo that is a whopping $22.91 per six pack! This brew packs quite a punch with 11% ABV(Alcohol by Volume). Based on our "flawed" metrics, the krunkability is a measly 0.480139677! QUE SOPRESA!!


 

*#humanjuggernaut 

2 comments:

  1. brendan fraser is the best actor of our times. i'm so glad he's finally getting the appreciation that such a smart, talented, handsome, and well-rounded man like him deserves. thanks food justice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Anonymous. I have one word to say: thnks. It isn't often in our world of cell phones, 3 second sound bites, and processed media conglomerates that we truly sit down and appreciate the artists that not only exist, BUT THRIVE in our society. To me, Brendan embodies all that is good in the world around us. His integrity and drive that he puts forth into every breath is unparallelled amongst the other actors of his generation. He reminds me of a young Chaplin the way he stands above his peers (funny I should mention Chaplin I would love to see Brendan in a silent film wouldn't you?). Anyways, thank you for your continued support and long live actor/artist justice!

    ReplyDelete